Saturday, October 18, 2014

"Where ya been…China?"

How many times in my life have I used something like "Where ya been, China?" or "Where did you park, China?" or "Where did you go, China?". I like to tell people when they ask me where I live, "China" which means "far from where we are right now". All of these expressions are meant to be dramatic. And while it's true, China is a long way from Chicago, I think that these expressions are more than just about distance but difference. No one would deny that China is much different culturally than the U.S. China is very much a collectivist society where the point is to blend into the group as best you can. Being a superstar or calling attention to oneself is looked down upon. Yet,these differences seem to be just the engine that is propelling China forward. I'm curious to understand more about this aspect of the Chinese culture and the impact on the economy. I expect to experience a people who are very welcoming and eager to share their culture. I'm confident that I won't be disappointed. I can't wait to answer the next person who asks "Where ya been, China?" and I will be able to confidently say "yes, and you have to see it to believe it!"

No comments:

Post a Comment