Saturday, October 25, 2014

"Starving"

I remember many years ago as a child, my mother would say to us "don't throw your dinner in the trash, people in China are starving". Well, I would say that they are still starving....to achieve the dream. I have been so impressed with the level of dedication from all of the college students that we have met this week. I have spent every night at the library because it is the only place that has reliable, free Wifi. Every night that I was at the library, which included Friday and Saturday, the library was packed with students studying. When I say that the students were studying, I mean that they were really studying. There was no goofing around, no "scoping" for someone of the opposite sex (like we used to do), it was 100% dedication. These students know that the dream is within their grasp and they will stop at nothing to get it. 

We had the opportunity to tour many of the different schools on campus. The first couple of schools- nursing, engineering (HVAC, automotive, ceramics) were not all that impressive. In fact, down deep I felt a bit sorry for the students here. It wasn't until we went to the Supply Chain and Logistics school that I was blown away. These people are serious about being competitive internationally. There were many very practical rooms within the school such as the "international negotiations table", the dinner table to highlight the differences between Chinese and Western dining and the logistics room that simulated a product being taken from the factory and put all the way on a plane or boat. These students are getting first-hand experience on what needs to happen in an international environment. I have not seen anything like it up until this moment. So, I would say that "Yes, China is starving. It is starving to be recognized as serious global player and it will stop at nothing to receive that recognition." 

No comments:

Post a Comment