Monday, January 18, 2016

“Thou hast seen nothing yet.”

“Thou hast seen nothing yet.” - Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra 

A perfect quote from the most important Spanish writer. I'm no stranger to international travel. I've been many places and have had many great experiences from climbing to the top of Mt. Etna and the Great Wall of China, taking tango lessons in Argentina and salsa lessons in Mexico, cooking classes in Italy and enjoying a Sunday roast in England. However, I am sure that nothing that I've experienced so far will compare to being able to work and live in Spain for a few months. 

As I anticipate what I will experience on my extended stay in Spain, I imagine that the experience will change me for the better. I am hopeful that I may be able to unpack some of my biases and that I will be more open-minded to different customs and cultures. And, that once and for all, I can say without hesitation "yes, I am fluent in Spanish" and not have my fingers crossed because I know there are certain areas (like the subjunctive) that I have to talk around :-) 

Overall, I'm hopeful that my time in Spain will make me a better professor and a better person!

No comments:

Post a Comment